For Friday, March 13
(Download printable copy of recipe and reflection questions here.)
- 1-2 Tbsp. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (green or red), chopped
- 1 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 6oz. can tomato paste
- 1 qt. (32 oz.) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 C. water
- 1 ½ C. corn – frozen or canned (drained)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ – ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. canned jalapenos, chopped (optional)
- 1 15oz. can beans (black, pinto, kidney – whatever you have), rinsed & drained
- Corn or tortilla chips (see below for homemade crunchy strips)
- Optional garnishes: Avocado, cilantro, queso fresco or shredded cheddar, sour cream, lime wedges
Sauté onion & pepper in oil. Add all ingredients except the beans. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add beans to heat through. Top each bowl with tortilla chips and other garnishes of your choice.
For crunchy tortilla strips: Cut a stack of corn tortillas into ¼ inch strips with a chef knife. On a cookie-sheet, drizzle strips with canola oil. Toss and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-10 min. Toss and bake another 5-10 min. or until desired crispness.
For March 15: John 4: 5-42
“If you knew the gift of God and who is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink, ‘ you would have asked him and he would have given you living water”. . . . “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”
Reflections for the cook:
When Jesus asks me for something, it’s often because he wants to give me something better. What is “the drink” he’s asking from me? What is the “living water” he wants for me? How is this “living water” meant for others in my life?
Discussion for the dinner table:
For what are we “thirsty”? (Maybe each family member can share a superficial “want” and a deeper desire of their heart.) Can you imagine ever being completely satisfied? What does Jesus mean when he says he will give us water that will make us never thirst again? What is this “living water”?
Copyright 2020 The Well