Janet Paulson joins Lisa on the October 2020 episode of The Water Jar podcast. Janet is the mother of five adult daughters and lives in Pella, Iowa where she is a parishioner at St. Mary’s Catholic Church. When her husband of 29 years died in 2009, Janet found herself pursuing a more dedicated prayer life and seeking spiritual direction. After completing the Spiritual Exercises in Everyday Life, she discerned the Lord was calling her to enroll in the Christian Spirituality Program at Creighton University to become a certified spiritual director. God willing, she will finish the program in 2022. In her spare time, Janet enjoys bicycling, walking, cooking, traveling and growing and nursing orchids back to life. She is involved with programs at church including RCIA, and loves cheering for the Iowa State Cyclones.
Janet and Lisa chat about a variety of topics from how the scene between Jesus and the woman at the well is a lot like spiritual direction … to the Ignatian spiritual exercises …. to how to pray a practical daily examen … to the critical importance of spiritual mentorships in our daily faith journey.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Discerning Hearts Podcast: Scriptural Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- 5 Ways to Live Your Rosary blogpost by Kristi Quinlan
- Reimagining the Ignatian Examen: Fresh ways to pray from your day by Fr. Mark Thibodeaux, SJ
- General resource for learning more about the Spiritual Exercises
- Katie Patrizio Sunday Dive Podcast: God’s Nuptial Longing and the Woman at the Well
- The Gift of Spiritual Intimacy by Monty Williams
- God’s Voice Within by Fr. Mark Thibodeaux, SJ
- The Emmaus House
And here’s the printable mentioned during the show. Print full page handout here.