In Episode 3 of The Water Jar, Katie Patrizio joins Lisa Schmidt at The Well once again and they dip into the mailbag and answer questions from 1% Challenge™ participants. Tune in and hear the conversation around these questions:
- How do you know when God is speaking to you in prayer?
- What are some helpful postures for mental prayer?
- Does Mass “count” as daily mental prayer?
Call To Action
In times of discernment, we can wonder if it’s truly God’s voice we’re hearing during prayer. In these moments of desolation, confusion, apathy, anger — that is, any emotion moving us away from peace and consolation — ask two questions:
- Am I praying daily?
- Am I being generous to others?
If the answer to either question is no, there’s your call to action. Get back to a regular prayer routine by spending at least 15 minutes in daily mental prayer. Also double down in being generous with others. These two actions will help us move toward faithfulness with God during our discernment process.
- Do you have a tally chart keeping track each time Katie mentions Fr. Jacque Philippe? 🙂 He makes an appearance once again! This time Katie recommends his book Searching for and Maintaining Peace along with the previously mentioned Time for God: A Guide to Prayer as two excellent spiritual reads. These books together touch on two important keys to the spiritual life: 1) developing a prayer routine, and 2) how we dispose ourselves to the Holy Spirit to maintain the peace He gives.
- To dive deeper into discernment of spirits, explore IgnatianSpirituality.com.
- Lectio Divina, or “divine reading” is a traditional way of listening and talking with God through Scripture. Learn more about the four steps of lectio divina here.
- We’ve been meaning to say a word about our bumper music. Isn’t that song just plain fun? It’s called “The Well” (perfect, right?!) by the delightful J.J. Heller. Her music is a calming soundtrack to accompany daily life.
Tune in to The Water Jar by simply clicking the play arrow below. You can also subscribe to our iTunes channel here and listen on your mobile device using the Apple Podcast app.
Author: The Well
The Well is a vibrant women’s ministry rooted in prayer, evangelization, and charitable action. We exist to gather women together, to celebrate spiritual friendships, and to build up the local Catholic community. Just as the Samaritan woman encountered Jesus at a well, we pray the work of this ministry opens doors to a deeper and sustained encounter with Jesus for those who gather with us.